forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: WM2006 - New internal format for the dispatcher
Date Sun, 02 Jul 2006 18:35:14 GMT
El vie, 30-06-2006 a las 08:06 -0400, Tim Williams escribió:
> On 6/28/06, Thorsten Scherler <thorsten@apache.org> wrote:
> So these "internal" formats act essentially like input plugins except
> the output isn't necessarily an xdoc?

Not all of them.
For the *.internal, yes internal plugins produce xdocs so should the
internal contracts.

...on the other hand we have other internal contracts in skins which do
not produce xdocs. book-to-menu.xsl and tab-to-menu.xsl this produces
internal markup used for generating the navigation contracts.

> Either way, I don't see how
> modularizing content could be a bad thing, go for it.

:)

> I think that it doesn't "feel right" might be because you're naming
> them generic "internal1", "internal2", etc.  Other view/@types are
> format-specific (e.g. html), right?  Why not stick with something like
> that?

Actual internal is treated as "format". You can reach it via requesting
*.internal instead of *.html.

Picking up the *-to-menu.xsl they should go into internal-navigation and
be reachable via *.internal-navigation. This way skins and the
dispatcher can reach the same output without code-duplication. Further
this allows the user to quickly change the navigation without
duplicating the whole skin code.

> On the other hand, it seems that this is a slightly different use of
> views (e.g. variable input and output), so a more difficult solution
> might be to extend the views grammar to accept a view
> type="conversion" with from/to attrs or something.

Can you elaborate on this? I do not understand the type="conversion"
part.

> Just more or less thinking aloud...
> --tim

Thanks for the feedback.