forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <ferdin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Document restructuring - confused
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:55:08 GMT

Ross Gardler wrote:

> In the recent restructuring of our document structures I find things
> confusing. Maybe it is because I am used to the old structure, but maybe
> not...

You are right. It is confusing because we have happily mixed
background info, introduction, and step by step instructions in the
same documents.

The new structure is an attempt to fix that because it was originally
intended (afaik) to have seperate instruction (howto) and background
documents.

> For example, why is the locationmap documentation under "whitepapers"
> instead of under "customise forrest" or "Extend Forrest"

Problem is that I have not had the time to rewrite all documents to
fit the new/old structure so those that mix instruction and background
may be in the wrong categorie.

However, you are right about being used to the old structure because
it was often just as wrong. People might be looking for general info
on locationmaps and not find it in whitepapers.

Proper solution is to rewrite and split documents like that in short
and concise how-tos with links to longer whitepapers with backgound
info.

I was in the process of starting that for locationmaps when I had to
take of a more urgent non-Forrest problem.

--
Ferdinand Soethe