forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Brian M Dube <brian.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OSCommerce input plugin
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2006 02:26:22 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Sorry, that is incorrect. OSCommerce plugs directly into the DB. I don't
> know PHP so I'm not sure if you can make it talk to a hibernate back
> end, so your PHP scripts may need to talk directly to the DB as well.
> Although it could pull formatted data or raw XML from the Forrest app if
> it needs to. This would give us:

In my case, neither the database nor the Forrest application is
available for PHP to query. These are separate environments. This is
what I meant by a static publish. In the development environment is
where I have Forrest and OSCommerce. The production environment will
host the published documents with accompanying PHP scripts. I'll use
MySQL in the production environment as well, but this is unrelated to
the OSCommerce database. This difference in use cases may or may not
impact the details of the plugin. More on that below.

> It would be more robust, and most likely faster, to use Cocoon Forms to
> create your client apps in the way the above diagram shows. However, I
> understand your point about "time to learn Cocoon Forms", that
> implementation decision is, of course, your own.

As stated above, learning Cocoon isn't the only issue. The production
environment makes the use of a Cocoon application very unlikely. Unless
I misunderstand you, the client applications you describe would run in
some sort of servlet container, right? Given the tools available in my
production environment, the only one I'm already comfortable with is
PHP. That makes the choice easy and I hope it clarifies my use case.

Due to the approaching deadline for this project, I'm going to proceed
with the code in place. I'll gladly collaborate in the meantime and I
still plan on switching to a plugin once it's clear the deadline will be
met. From your diagrams I think it is possible for one plugin to meet
both our needs. I haven't made use of Hibernate yet, but I'll look into it.

Brian