forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r412354 - /forrest/trunk/site-author/content/xdocs/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/usingPlugins.xml
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 11:03:16 GMT
Cyriaque Dupoirieux wrote:
> le 07/06/2006 12:27 Ross Gardler a écrit :

>>> -        <a
>>> href="http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-388">FOR-388</a>

>> Should we really be deleting the warning about this?
>
> I think so, or at least we need to change it  may be something like :
> "Until issue <a
> href="http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-388">FOR-388</a> is fixed
> to enable the use of plugins in-place, any change to sources needs to
> restart forrest"

OK, I'm doing that now, with a minor modification of adding the
local-deploy option.

>> Should the issue really be closed? (see [1])
>>
> No, we should reopen it. I didn't understand the "in place" ;-) . I
> believed it was "instead of" the remote version...

That makes sense. I've reopened the issue but moved its fixed version to
0.9. Your work on this is worthy of the 0.8 release. I've also clarified
what is meant by "in place".

>>> +      <p>If you need to enhance an existing plugin functionality,
>>> you should not edit a standard plugin sources.</p>
>>> +      <p>First, copy the whole plugin directory either in a plugins
>>> directory in your project tree or, if the plugin is used by several
>>> projects, +      in a different location outside any project
>>> directory.</p>
>>

>> I'm not sure we want to encourage users working in this way. We want
>> them to enhance Forrest code and provide patches. This comment
>> encourages them to fork the code doesn't it?
>
> You are right, Maybe (please correct my bad english...) :

I'll make the edits you suggest with some minor mods (not for bad
English though ;-)

Thanks,
Ross