forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dispatcher and linking to image resources (Was: ForrestBot build for forrest-sample-2 FAILED)
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 12:35:15 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
>>David Crossley escribi??:

>>>BTW, i see that the dispatcher copy of resources.xmap does not
>>>use the locationmap at all, whereas the main one does.
>>
>>We (I think Ross mainly did it) updated the xmap and extracted the
>>matches to lm recently. The dispatcher resources.xmap did not got
>>adopted after this changes.
>

> I meant that if someone is investigating the issue,
> then please work from the main copy.
>
> I have noticed a trend lately that when people are
> helping to investigate core issues, they are considering
> dispatcher only. We still have skins as default.

It is worrying that a plugin (i.e. the dispatcher) has a complete copy
of resources.xmap (and others) rather than overriding any matches that
are necessary to make the plugin work.

I raised this issue a very long time ago, way back in views 1. At that
time the justification was that the dispatcher (then views) would become
part of core, so I let it drop. However, now that it seems the
dispatcher is to remain a plugin this has become an important issues.

There should be zero code duplication between sitemaps in plugins and
sitemaps in core. The plugin framework has been built in such a way that
this should never be necessary. We have he ability to override selected
matches and that is all that we should be doing.

Ross