forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: future of Forrest Friday get togethers
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 01:00:24 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Gav.... escribi??:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> > >
> > > Can we address the concern about the summaries?
> >
> > No single person should be responsible for the summaries as has been
> > mentioned. Having more than one person at the same time working on a summary
> > also has its problems.

Having it in Subversion helps with that. I recall that one
FF it worked well. Being the channel operator i started it,
during the day both Ross(?) and i added to it. Later we
refined it.

http://forrest.apache.org/forrest-friday.html#op
"Begin a summary text file in the forrest-events SVN.
Committers should add to this during the day.
Don't leave it until the end."

Sure i agree it is harder for non-committers. It is difficult
to send patches for a file that is changing.

> > Now, where is that discussion on voluntary allocation
> > of roles for certain things? This needs revisiting and come come in handy
> > here. Someone, possibly different each time needs to shout up and say 'yep,
> > I'll do it this time' then put it up on the website somewhere where it can
> > be tinkered with later if needed. Summaries of past events should be up the
> > site somewhere don't you think?

They are. See the "events" link at
http://forrest.apache.org/forrest-friday.html#how
"The discussion will be logged, summarised, and added
to our "events" SVN repository."

> I am actually not sure about summaries, see above. It is all in the log
> and a summary would IMO better fit as mail to the ml.

The original plan is to add them to SVN and post the final
to the dev@ list. It has always been added to SVN (though
lacking content) and sometimes sent as email.

Regarding the usefulness of summaries. Please see the conversation
referred to above on Apache Incubator general@ list. Some people
had some very strong points about this.

It is very difficult to read an IRC log, even if you were present.
We are lucky here at Forrest, our logs are small. So if people
who are present go to the effort, then there is big benefit.

Sending the summary to the list is important. It enables us
to build upon the event and close the loop with involving the
community. New threads will arise.

-David