forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject whitespace again
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 00:45:21 GMT
Gav.... wrote:
> > From: David Crossley
> >
> > Also please do not add extra tabs to the files (we use spaces). This
> > creates unnecessary diffs and obscures the real changes, e.g. see
> > #level2tabs in your patch.
>
> Bummer, I DID use spaces! For some reason, a few of the lines were (upon
> initial opening of the file, before any changes by me) indented further in
> that most, so I backspaced them once which seemed to get rid of a tab, then
> spaced in 2 spaces to line them up again.
>
> This may be another Windows Quirk I don't know, my Vim is set up correctly.

Basically do not touch existing whitespace, even if it is
a mess. If you want to tidy up whitespace [*] then do that
in a completely separate patch that *only* addresses the
whitespace, no other changes.

[*] We have an issue to cleanup up all whitespace across
all files. So probably don't bother doing individual files.

-David