forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Using browser headers for i18n? (was: Per-project i18n LocaleAction and LocaleMatcher configuration)
Date Mon, 22 May 2006 10:19:41 GMT
Hi devs,

I'm preparing a simple patch against the trunk, to make i18n more
consistent, mostly by using a single definition of the LocaleAction
and LocaleMatcher, in the main sitemap.

This allows the locale to be selected reliably by a request parameter
(?locale=fr for example), whereas in the current trunk is a bit
inconsistent with several LocaleAction definitions (all with default
settings, no big deal) and also use of request:locale in some places
vs. LocaleAction/locale in other places. This causes weird effects
when trying to use a locale parameter, like content in one language
and tabs or menu in another.

I haven't solved the configuration problem yet (how to make the
parameters of these components configurable per project), so my
question is about the default settings:

Should the "use browser-supplied headers to select locale" option stay
on as the default?

It's a good option in an perfect world where everybody's browsers is
configured properly, but in my experience it's rarely the case. And,
as it's not explicit, it's often invisible to people starting with
i18n, causing all sorts of frustation while testing. I think having to
specify the locale explicitely means less surprises.

So I'd prefer turning this option off be default. For now this means
people would have to patch the main sitemap manually to re-enable it.

But the previous default was to have this option on, so I don't want
to change it if that was on purpose.

WDYT?

-Bertrand