forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Recommendations for URL-based i18n like at www.verit.de?
Date Wed, 17 May 2006 14:28:24 GMT
(moving this from the user@ list here)

> ...I've been wanting to improve the i18n support for some time. By using
> the locationmap it should be possible to simulate the "Apache httpd
> magic" in a static environment. But it would requrie a little work.
>
> Join us on the dev list if you want to explore this...

Ok, here I am - if you can give me some pointers as to what's needed
to make the following use-case work, I'll have a look.

My use-case:
1. Client request with an URL like /de/path/file.html

2. "de" becomes the current locale for this request, overrides other
Local settings

3. Content is selected using the LocaleMatcher, i.e. file.de.xml if
possible, else file.en.xml if en is the default locale, else file.xml
(ideally with warnings if the document is not available in the desired
language)

4. Links, tabs and menus are generated (from a single set of
definitions, common to all languages) with "de" as the first path
component, to stay in the same locale.

I've been able to get 1, 2 and 3 to work for simple cases (via a
project-specific sitemap), but I'm wondering about the best way to
implement 4.

-Bertrand