forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Juan Jose Pablos <che...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using browser headers for i18n? (was: Per-project i18n LocaleAction and LocaleMatcher configuration)
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 07:03:34 GMT
Hi Bertrand!,

Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> I'm preparing a simple patch against the trunk, to make i18n more
> consistent, mostly by using a single definition of the LocaleAction
> and LocaleMatcher, in the main sitemap.

Back in 2003 the were objections about doing this way:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/forrest-dev/200308.mbox/%3c20030805065431.GB57991@minotaur.apache.org%3e

I am happy to have a single definition (i was back then)

but It does not work in my side. I am not able to produce local content,
I will investigate the reason

> This allows the locale to be selected reliably by a request parameter
> (?locale=fr for example)

ok, but when you try to build a static site, you end up with:

index.html
index.html_locale=de
index.html_locale=fr
That is why we do not want to use get parameters.

, whereas in the current trunk is a bit
> inconsistent with several LocaleAction definitions (all with default
> settings, no big deal)

Historical reasons :-)

  and also use of request:locale in some places
> vs. LocaleAction/locale in other places.

I used request:locale, because it was the only way to get it working

> I haven't solved the configuration problem yet (how to make the
> parameters of these components configurable per project), so my
> question is about the default settings:
>
> Should the "use browser-supplied headers to select locale" option stay
> on as the default?

as long as we find another way to getting working.

> But the previous default was to have this option on, so I don't want
> to change it if that was on purpose.
>
> WDYT?

I had a look on your patch, but for me it is not working.
If I revert this line:

 > -	              <map:parameter name="locale" value="{request:locale}"/>
 > +                <map:parameter name="locale" value="{locale}"/>

Then your stuff fails, so I guess that we need to find why both options
can not work well together.

WDYT?

Cheers,
cheche