forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using browser headers for i18n? (was: Per-project i18n LocaleAction and LocaleMatcher configuration)
Date Mon, 22 May 2006 10:47:03 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Should the "use browser-supplied headers to select locale" option stay
> on as the default?
>
> It's a good option in an perfect world where everybody's browsers is
> configured properly, but in my experience it's rarely the case. And,
> as it's not explicit, it's often invisible to people starting with
> i18n, causing all sorts of frustation while testing. I think having to
> specify the locale explicitely means less surprises.
>
> So I'd prefer turning this option off be default. For now this means
> people would have to patch the main sitemap manually to re-enable it.
>
> But the previous default was to have this option on, so I don't want
> to change it if that was on purpose.
>
> WDYT?

i18n support is patchy at best in 0.8-dev. Pretty much all the work was
done by Cheche and there has been little contribution from te rest of us
devs.

There has been lots of confusion over how to use i18n on the user lists.
Some of it around the issue of how to set the default locale.

I'd be +1 for your proposed change. In the past we have provided
sitenmap snippets in the "How to upgrade" document together with
instructions to put these snippets in the project sitemap if they want
to maintain backward compatability with previous releases.

I'd like to hear Cheche's view on this if he is listening.

Ross