forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release
Date Wed, 10 May 2006 07:20:56 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Let us review the list of issues for the upcoming release.
> There are currently 47 issues for filter FOR-roadmap-dev.
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12310820
>
> Looking at just the Blocker and Critical issues.
>
> We need to get radical with the list and either do them
> or delay them until 0.9-dev
>
> I have added some suggestions below.
> What do others think?

Not sure what your "suggestion" is - to delay or to fix?

Anyway, I've added my observations on each issue. Thanks for taking the
time to do this.

> ------------------------
> FOR-713 HTML-to-document.xsl no longer generates an XDoc

Doesn't seem to be causing issues with users perhaps Ferdinand can test
as I think he has a site with lots of HTML as input).

> ------------------------
> FOR-762 Default page URL for breadcrumbs and site: links
>
> Not sure why marked as Blocker.
>
> Could probably find some solution.

Certainly not a blocker. OK to go to 0.8.x or 0.9

> ------------------------
> FOR-796 Merge all view/dispatcher work into org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher
and org.apache.forrest.themes.core

Dispatcher is 0.9, besides, these are plugins and therefore need not be
in the roadmap.

> ------------------------
> FOR-492 Inconsistent Line Endings in generated sites
>
> We think it is a Xalan issue. Sounded promising but no movement.
> Perhaps we can add a workaround with Ant after 'forrest site'.

Each time this comes up I mention that I have worked around this issue
in ANT in the plugin deployment stuff. It just takes one of us to
actually copy the solution (it's about 3 lines) see discussion in the issue.

> ------------------------
> FOR-865 Add missing entries to status.xml to generate the changes list
>
> Everyone can help with this.

yes

> ------------------------
> FOR-867 need doc to explain status of skins and dispatcher
>
> Doc started. Need to summarise the recent mail discussion.

Looking good.

> ------------------------
> FOR-868 add relevant notes to the "Upgrading" xdoc
>
> Leave until after FOR-867.

Yes

> ------------------------
> FOR-855 verify the license situation prior to each release
>
> Just a reminder to do this close to release time.

OK

> ------------------------
> FOR-681 Include xconf files in plugins using includes, not XPatch

I'd be happy for this to go into the unscheduled bit. It was me that
required this functionality. Another user requested it too, but neither
of us have scratched the itch (I hacked it on the installation in question).

> ------------------------
> FOR-591 MaxMemory needs increasing for large document sets: Memory Leak with XMLFileModule
>
> Rustling at COCOON-1574.

We need to try the Cocoon upgrade

> ------------------------
> FOR-533 Auto Generate plugins.xml entry

This should stay in 0.8, it's a fairly minor job, I've done most of the
preparatory work (I think).

> ------------------------
> FOR-735 Plugins are not correctly deployed in webapp mode

Blocker - we get users complaining of this. I'm willing to bet some just
go away after testing a seeded site.

> ------------------------
> FOR-711 FOR-200 sub-task: Cache results from the Locationmap

OK to go into 0.9, but we will need a FAQ entry explaining how to turn
caching off for development since with it on we are forced to reboot
Forrest each time the LM is changed. Tim mentioned in the archives how
to turn it off.

> ------------------------
> FOR-707 Document i18n features of Forrest
>
> Suggest delay until 0.9-dev.

Yes.

> ------------------------
> FOR-388 Use plugins in-place if src available

I know Cyriaque has been finishing what I started, need to review this
issue and see how far he has got with it.

> ------------------------
> FOR-742 trouble accessing unversioned plugin for a released version of Forrest, e.g.
projectInfo

I've lost track of the state of this one. Certainly a Blocker for the
0.8 release.

> ------------------------
> FOR-639 define terminology for the various aspects of Dispatcher
>
> Doc started. Everyone can help with this.

Yes

> FOR-572 run a memory profiler while forrest is operating
>
> Something that we need to regularly do and certainly
> just before release.

Yes. I've still not found the time to set up yourKit

> FOR-876 locationmap demo in fresh-site is broken

Blocker

Ross