forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: status of skins and dispatcher for 0.8 release
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 07:06:37 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
>>Ross Gardler escribi??:

>>>So is it
>>>stable enough for us to promise backward compatability?
>>
>>from 0.8 up
>>
>>yes, *my personal opinion* (!!!)
>

> Are you sure that the move to xhtml2 in the core
> ASAP after the release is not going to affect that?

To be stable with respect to backward compatability it needs to have a
fixed grammar so that users need not change anything to keep up with any
internal changes in the code. A move to XHTML2 should not affect this as
it is an internal format and would not affect the source format or the
structurer grammar.

> If we agree on the above discussion about continuing
> skins as plugins, then say "alternative to".

Agreed.

> I don't know what is involved. This case is one of
> the first that we have had. I suppose that we would need
> a clear proposal and the PMC needs to decide that we agree
> with the overall direction and timing, etc.

Nice overlap with Ferdinands proposal for a clear development proposal.
Lets use this as a test case. I'll be proposing the Daisy plugin too
once I have enough time to document it a little better. We can use both
the Daisy and the Dispatcher/themer plugins as test cases.

One thing that will have to happen before the Dispatcher comes out of
core is to resolve the plugin dependency issues.

Some time ago we agreed that plugins should not have any dependencies on
one another. We also acknowledged that here may come a time in which
such a dependency is required. This may be it, but the plugin
architecture does not currently support dependencies. We need to create
the concept of "features" which are collections of plugins that work
together to achieve a specific goal.

We can return to this after the 0.8 release though.

Ross