forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Refining our Development Process
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 22:58:28 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> [I'm sipping an excellent yeast brandy while typing this so please
>  excuse if not everything makes perfect sense :-)]
>
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>

>>In open source projects there is a fourth type of user. This one sits
>>somewhere between your type 1 and type 2, lets call them type "one and a
>>half".
>

>>These people are very technical and are able to work on experimental
>>parts of the code base where that code adds benefit to their project.
>>However, they may not want to work with other experimental parts of the
>>code base.
>

> Thanks for adding that piece of info.
> So what exactly is the difference between group 1 and 1.5?

A group 1 person will be happy to work with all experimental code.
Perhaps they do not have any mission critical applications using the
code base or they are between projects and have some time to experiment.

A type 1.5 needs some new functionality for a mission critical app and
will therefore spend time working on that piece of functionality, but
they will not want to expose the app to non-essential development code.

Ross