forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: help - yet another Dispatcher false start
Date Fri, 19 May 2006 23:09:24 GMT
Ross,

Here's what works on Windows/2000 Professional using
jdk 1.5.0_06.  Your mileage may vary.

1) Update to the latest svn head.  At least under
Windows this is necessary due to some xml-resolver
issues.

2) cd $FORREST_HOME/etc

3) Run ./builddispatcher.sh (I run under cygwin).  Use
builddispatcher.bat if you're running under CMD.exe

4) As far as I know, you don't really need to build
all of the plugins.  I still do this with a shell
script I call build-all.sh.  I've included that in the
mail message.

5) I also build the citations and glossary plugins.
Again, I don't think it's necessary.

6) Find a new place to create a fresh site and run
forrest seed.

7) Edit the resulting forrest.properties and add the
following plugins to use the dispatcher:

org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher
org.apache.forrest.themes.core

My plugin line looks like this (all on one line):

project.required.plugins=
org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf,
org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher,
org.apache.forrest.themes.core

8) Fire up forrest with forrest run, and then browse
to http://localhost:8888/

Both the static and forrest run targets work for me.
I've not tried the war or webapp targets.

That being said, there are a lot of changes that
appear to be going on with the dispatcher.  I've just
started to dig into the new views (.fv) and contracts
(.ft) structures.  Basically, you have to piece things
together from existing theme files by looking at the
later released files.  The current documentation
doesn't seem to be correct.

I've managed to create a simple index.fv file,
included my css file, and used some available
contracts, but that's as far as I've gone.

common.fv in a directory does not seem to work at
present.

I'll try to send more information to the mailing list
as my understanding grows.

Mark

/mde/

#!bash
# simpleminded build-all.sh file
#
PLUGINS=`ls | grep org.apache.forrest.plugin`
for plugin in $PLUGINS
do
  echo "Building $plugin"
  cd $plugin
  $FORREST_HOME/tools/ant/bin/ant local-deploy
  cd ..
done