forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject status of skins and dispatcher for 0.8 release
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 05:09:11 GMT
We need to have a very clear statement about the
status of "Skins" and "Dispatcher" for the upcoming
0.8 release. This statement needs to reflect the vision
of developers and where the PMC wants the project to
be going.

At the same time we need to be careful to not get
people over-excited about new technologies that are
not quite ready. Remember the mess that we got into
at Apache Incubator.

Users and developers need to know that Skins are
still usable and still the main mechanism.

There is then the Dispatcher work-in-progress that
has reached an excellent stage. We certainly want to
encourage people to investigate it and help to
develop it.

It is my understanding that we have not yet made a
decision about when Dispatcher will be ready, nor
whether it will replace skins or whether both will
be usable as plugins. I, for one, am happy to further
delay that decision, but we need to come up with
some words to define the situation.

What do others think?

I made a start today with a new document called:
"Status of Themes: Skins and Dispatcher" ...

-David