forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Web Maestro Clay <the.webmaes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Improving Forrest/OpenOffice.org integration
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 05:52:37 GMT
On Apr 2, 2006, at 5:35 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>> Web Maestro Clay wrote:
>>> I've been given the go-ahead to work on Forrest's OpenOffice.org
>>> functionality
>> Excellent!!
>>> Would it make more sense to 'leave' the OpenOffice.org plugin
>>> alone,  and focus instead on creating a new OpenDocument plugin,
>>> since it  doesn't appear to have as many styling issues?
>> +1 to starting afresh and working on an OpenDocument plugin instead.
>
> One other tip. When I did the Resume plugin I used a simple
> generator for SXW files [1]. This replaces the rather hacky way of
> reading the zipped SXW files in the OOo plugin. I never found the
> time to make it work for other OOo formats and put it into the OOo
> plugin.
>
> Perhaps your work is the perfect opportunity to do this. It's
> pretty simple (as long as you know a little Java) and improves
> performance considerably.
>
> Ross
>
> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/whiteboard/
> plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.Resume/src/java/org/apache/
> forrest/generation/

I took a look at that, and it looks interesting. However, I think the
Lenya OpenDocument module looks like a better route to go (do you
agree?).

I've checked out this code from Lenya, and will take a look at how I
can 'convert' to forrest. My first step will be to essentially search
& replace for 'lenya' and replace with 'forrest'. I'll also try to
make it match the Forrest plugin nomenclature and infrastructure as
closely as possible (pathnames, and class names, etc.). Of course,
it's possible I'll do more harm than good, but we'll see how it goes...

Clay Leeds
the.webmaestro@gmail.com

-- HH Dalai Lama of Tibet