forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Web Maestro Clay <the.webmaes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 'OpenDocument' or 'odt' + mailing list question
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 06:15:09 GMT
On Apr 20, 2006, at 9:52 PM, Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Web Maestro Clay wrote:
>> I just noticed that we've got a new plugin:
>
>> $FORREST_HOME/whiteboard/plugins/
>> org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.OpenDocument
>
>> Before I spend time updating on this, which will be the final plugin
>> we'll use?
>
> I'd say that we'll certainly keep this one because it has the more
> common name.

<sheepishly>
erm... My apologies... No. That was my bad. As Thorsten brilliantly
surmised, that 'plugin' was simply my first attempt at creating an
OpenDocument plugin. Nothing more... nothing less. I got so involved
in working on the new odt plugin I forgot I'd started creating an
OpenDocument plugin myself. It merely contains code I copied from the
OpenOffice.org plugin when.
</sheepishly>

> But as I have written in the thread on the odt-plugin I would still
> like to have the question answered how much it would take to make the
> old OpenOffice-plug-in support openDocument, simply because it seemed
> a lot further in terms of features and maturity.
>
> I think it would be great if s.o. working on the new plug-in could at
> least take the time to compare both approaches and see how they can be
> merged into one unified plugin that supports both.

I believe the reasons the Forrest team and I decided to focus on
OpenDocument, was two-fold:
- OpenDocument is the default format for OpenOffice.org
- the OpenOffice.org 'sxw' file format itself has significant,
inconsistent bugginess which causes problematic rendering in Forrest
output[1]

Just the same, I am considering some modifications to the OOo plugins
to fix a couple of issues with the OOo Impress format.

>> Also, where should discussion of modifications go? dev@lenya.a.o or
>> dev@forrest.a.o?
>
> Well since these are Forrest plug-ins using Forrest technology and
> transforming to the current or future Forrest base format I'd say it
> should happen here.

I agree. My question was largely aimed at Thorsten, who IIRC
indicated at one time that discussion should be in both places.
However, so far most discussion I've seen has come through forrest.

> --
> Ferdinand Soethe

[1]
http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_70/
org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.OpenOffice.org/samples/openoffice-
writer.html

Clay Leeds
the.webmaestro@gmail.com

-- HH Dalai Lama of Tibet