forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Web Maestro Clay <the.webmaes...@gmail.com>
Subject Improving Forrest/OpenOffice.org integration
Date Sat, 01 Apr 2006 21:20:47 GMT
I've been given the go-ahead to work on Forrest's OpenOffice.org
functionality (proof that FOSS work does not not always have to be
for 'free'!).

My primary goal is to improve Forrest's OpenOffice.org plugin to
accommodate/work-around glitches in OOo's styling system[1]. For
reference, see the OpenOffice.org OpenOffice.org Writer Sample 'SXW'
page[2]:
- 'Here an ordered list' skips even numbers & inappropriately styled
text with class="instruction"
- 'Here an unordered list'  drops bullets & indent
- enable multiple unordered lists on a page (currently styles 2nd
list as class="instruction"
(NOTE: These may be problems on the side of OpenOffice.org, but they
still need work-arounds)

Of course, I'd like your input on where you think would be the best
place to start.

Additional goals I hope to achieve:
- accommodate a few additional OOo styles, to create right-aligned
boxes and/or images[3]
- perhaps update the serializer to enable 'on-the-fly' Forrest-
related styles
   (e.g., pass any style pre-fixed with 'FORREST-', & create a
Forrest css-style
   --or just pass the style through as a class in HTML & style it via
skinconf.xml)
- fix any outstanding FOP bugs or wishes (although I didn't see any
open issues)

Would it make more sense to 'leave' the OpenOffice.org plugin alone,
and focus instead on creating a new OpenDocument plugin, since it
doesn't appear to have as many styling issues?

Web Maestro Clay

p.s. BTW, the OOo web site had a nice April Fools joke today.

[1]OpenOffice.org Plugin List styling problem
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@forrest.apache.org/msg01956.html
[2]OpenOffice.org - Sample
http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_70/
org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.OpenOffice.org/samples/openoffice-
writer.html
[3] Enabling/Creating a new style for OpenOffice.org files
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@forrest.apache.org/msg01969.html

Clay Leeds
the.webmaestro@gmail.com

-- HH Dalai Lama of Tibet