forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <ferdin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] odt plugin
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:49:18 GMT

Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> AFAIR there are some fundamental changes in comparison to openOffice
> 1.x.

Have you checked this before you started this new plug-in or is this a
gut feeling? I'm asking because I remember looking at both formats
and thinking that they probably just needed a few fixes here and
there ... But I must admit that's as far as I took it.

Perhaps Ross has done some more work on this?

> Further like you pointed out the OASIS Open Document Format is a
> higher level standard and *not* directly related to OOo (it just happens
> that they use it as default format).

Let me make it clear that I'm all in favor of naming a
potential unified plug-in after the open standard (as you did).

My point is that we should not have two different plug-ins for
openOffice and odt since (if) they are so similar.

> Like I already stated (a standard is way different then an application):
> OpenDocument (odt) != openOffice

No doubt about that. Sorry for being imprecise here.

> If you have this itch feel free to scratch it.

I don't think this how it should work. I was commenting on my
impression that we are _perhaps_ re-inventing wheels by
developing and debugging a new plug-in for a very similar format.

And I remembered all the work that Ross and others have already
invested in improving the old plug-in.

Doesn't seem to make sense to repeat all that, does it?

--
Ferdinand Soethe