forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [FYI] Google Summer of Code 2006
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 08:59:44 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> Ross Gardler wrote:
>

>>1) Does the student think they can do it? If they don't they will not apply.
>

> That's the one I worry about.
>

>>2) Do we really expect a student to be able to do it in the time
>>allowed? We have to provide a report to Google saying whether the
>>objectives were met and whether the student should receive their money.
>>The decision about the money is the mentors alone, but it does reflect
>>negatively on the mentor and the student.
>

> This one should not be a problem if we defind the additional formats
> as optional second phases.
 >
> Problem is: how can we phrase the proposal in a way that doesn't scare
> people off while still motivating them to aim for this second step.
> Any ideas.

Perhaps "future direction" would be better. It implies that it is not
part of the GSoC proposal, but could be brought in if the student
progresses well.

The best students will contact you before applying, so there will be
plenty of opportunity to discuss scope.

> Also, Ross, how do you judge the amaount of work involved? Is it
> realistic to get all of that done? I have my doubts ...

In my opinion, no it is not realistic to get all that done. Remember
these are students. There are some very talented students out there, but
they do not have experience to speed them along. Personally I would
stick to a complete ODT plugins, input and output, with full
documentation. I would create/find a couple of sample ODT documents I
wanted to use, also have a couple of XDoc input documents and have those
documents define the scope of the project, i.e. these documents must
look right in a Forrest content object and there must be complete
documentation about how to use them.

Ross