forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Manager - RM
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 08:44:33 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>I wonder whether we can establish a regular scheduled release with the
>>help of an official release manager.
>

> I don't see how that will help. The release manager
> starts when the project is almost ready to do a release,
> but it is not their job to fix the major issues that
> are hindering our release.
>
> You mention "scheduled releases". I recall that we
> had a big discussion about that topic and whether
> it was a good approach. Would someone please refer
> to that thread.

(not found the thread but...)

I spent an age prioritising issues in Jira to make a realistic roadmap.
I've also spent time on that roadmap, as have a few others.

However, there are still 40 odd issues in there. We cannot release until
that roadmap is complete. Setting a date is artificial, we can't predict
how much time we, individually, will spend on it.

>>Ideal it would be not one single person but a group of people that take
>>turns to do a release. That said if you are interested in helping doing
>>a release as RM, please beware that other trust you to really do it.
>>
>>Why having a RM? One thing that I learned over the years in os
>>development is that people feel more responsible for doing a job when
>>their have officially the function or feel personal responsible for the
>>project.
>

> Well i felt responsible, but it didn't help
> our releases to happen any more quickly.

If the roadmap were complete I would find the time to help with the
release, just as I did last time. I would expect others will be in the
same position.

My assistance with releases when the roadmap is complete will continue
through all releases, as long as they are complete and ready. Again, I
am willing to bet that at least one other person in this community would
feel the same way.

I suppose that makes two people (David and myself) who are openly part
of this RM "group", I suspect there are more.

The problem, in my eyes, is not having willing people, it is having
complete code.

Ross