forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [FYI] Google Summer of Code 2006
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 08:19:56 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> Ross Gardler wrote:
>

>>Does that mean you can undertake to cover for Ferdinand during his
>>holidays (see other mails in this thread).
>

>>I'll do my best, but at this stage am unable to promise to be available
>>for the whole period. If there is someone who can then they should be
>>named co-mentor.
>

> I could probably use all the support I can get, now that ApacheCon is also
> going to happen.

> About the know-how side of things:
>
> I haven't watched too closely last year but me gut feeling is that I would
> basically facilitate that persons work (and introduce him to the
> Apache ways) while technical questions would be answered by the
> community, right?

It should be a community effort. But the mentor ensures that the student
does not get lost - it's akin to voting +1 on an issue and actualy
following through like we are supposed to.

Everything, including the processes etc. is a community effort. Last
year David was very active in some aspects and at least half the
community found the time to contribute in some way. With this proposal I
suspect community assistance would be much greater since the code would
be understandable to all (last year it was Eclipse code - not a common
knowledge set here).

It's not too onerous a task (at least not if you pick your student well).

Ross