forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Brian M Dube <brian.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Forrest site generates content above build/site
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 01:21:30 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Using references like /images/icon.png is the way to go.
> I just tried it with 0.8-dev in 'forrest seed site' and
> it correctly finds image sources in either resources/images/
> or in xdocs/images/ directories. Sub-directories also works.
> There is no need for any special sitemap matches, as Forrest
> already handles this automatically.
>
> Also relative references like from samples/linking.xml to
> ../images/icon.png works.
>
> However as you say, "broken" references like ../../images/icon.png
> do work, but the images are generated into a directory above
> the build/site directory. No error is reported because Forrest
> does correctly find the relevant sources.
>
> I don't know what to do about this latter problem,
> other than an FAQ and docs to encourage the use of
> references like /images/foo
>
> -David

Absolute references in the final output should also help with caching at
the proxy and browser level. As I understand it, caching proxies will
fetch both ../images/icon.png and ../../images/icon.png even when they
refer to the same resource. Proxies may be more intelligent than when I
last configured one, but this is the reason why consistent (read
absolute) URLs for site-wide resources were recommended.

Brian