forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] odt plugin
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:34:17 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El mar, 18-04-2006 a las 22:28 -0700, Clay Leeds escribió:

>>>I'm -1 on allowing abitrary styles though. The problem is that
>>>Forrest attempts to provide a unified output formats regardless of
>>>the input format. If we allow arbitrary styles through then we
>>>loose the ability to do this because uses will create "headings" by
>>>making text larger and bold, for example. Forrest has no way of
>>>knowing this is supposed to be a heading and therefore cannot
>>>render it as such.
>>>
>>>Ross
>>
>>I can understand that. I'll file the desire for on-the-fly styles
>>under the 'it would be nice...' flag. :-)
>>

> I added such a contract. I have not tested it (will do later) since I am
> on my way out, but _should_ work. ;)

Last time I looked -1 from a committer was a blocker on code. I
appreciate that this optional, but I'm still not sure it is a good idea.
It will cause maintenance problems.

Of course, there is a nice big warning on there. What do other devs
think? Is this the top of a slippery slope? Should this contract be part
of a FAQ rather than included code?

I'll certainly consider switching to a -0 if people want to see this,
but I strongly caution against it. In my opinion it undermines the whole
purpose of Forrest.

Ross