forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Improving Forrest/OpenOffice.org integration
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 08:50:29 GMT
Web Maestro Clay wrote:
> On Apr 2, 2006, at 5:35 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> Ross Gardler wrote:

>>> Excellent!!

>>> +1 to starting afresh and working on an OpenDocument plugin instead.
>>

>> One other tip. When I did the Resume plugin I used a simple  generator
>> for SXW files [1]. This replaces the rather hacky way of  reading the
>> zipped SXW files in the OOo plugin. I never found the  time to make it
>> work for other OOo formats and put it into the OOo  plugin.
>>
>> Perhaps your work is the perfect opportunity to do this. It's  pretty
>> simple (as long as you know a little Java) and improves  performance
>> considerably.
>>
>> Ross
>>
>> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/whiteboard/
>> plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.Resume/src/java/org/apache/
>> forrest/generation/
>

> I took a look at that, and it looks interesting. However, I think the
> Lenya OpenDocument module looks like a better route to go (do you  agree?).

Never looked at it, but it has received more attention, so it would not
surprise me if it is a better approach.

> I've checked out this code from Lenya, and will take a look at how I
> can 'convert' to forrest. My first step will be to essentially search  &
> replace for 'lenya' and replace with 'forrest'.

Lets try not to cut and paste. We are lucky enough to have a couple of
Lenya devs here, perhaps they can make a suggestion. I'm thinking of a
Cocoon block that both projects can make use of.

(WARNING: I have not even looked at the Lenya code for this, so I may be
sending us down a dead end - use your own judgment)

> I'll also try to  make
> it match the Forrest plugin nomenclature and infrastructure as  closely
> as possible (pathnames, and class names, etc.).

If we need to cut and paste then we may as well do this too. However, if
it is possible for us to build block from the Lenya code base, without
bringing loads of extra stuff we don't need, that would be better.

> Of course,  it's
> possible I'll do more harm than good, but we'll see how it goes...

Fortune favours the brave, Good luck ;-)

Ross