forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Manager - RM
Date Sun, 23 Apr 2006 04:04:58 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> David Crossley escribi??:
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > >
> > > Why having a RM? One thing that I learned over the years in os
> > > development is that people feel more responsible for doing a job when
> > > their have officially the function or feel personal responsible for the
> > > project.
> >
> > Well i felt responsible, but it didn't help
> > our releases to happen any more quickly.
>
> What is the root cause that our releases do not happen as quick as we
> wish?

Good question.

We finally have our Issue tracker in reasonable shape.
It is showing a roadmap for the upcoming release.

We have discussed a good process for focussing on
the relevant issues.
See http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-853

The next step is for the Forrest devs to review
the list. Deal with as many blockers as we can.
Review the list, as a group effort, and make
decisions to delay some issues to the next release.
That will empty the list and we are ready to go.

> > > Seeing our release rate we need to build a habit of releasing on a
> > > regular basis.
> > >
> > > Who will volunteer for the group of RM?
> >
> > I will. Like last time, i am very pleased if other
> > people either help, or actually do it and i will do
> > the helping role.
>
> I will as well.
>
> > I will enhance etc/RELEASE_PROCESS.txt so that people
> > know what they are in for.
>
> Is there a special reason why this is a txt file?

No, i don't think so. Jeff Turner started it when
he was RM and i bless him every time i open the file.
I would have been petrified to step into his shoes
without that. Each release since, we have enhanced the
file with lessons learned as we go. It is easy to
enhance it in a text-editor, not worry about pointy
tags, and concentrate on the release itself.

> Can I create a xdocs from it and add it to the docu?

I have wondered if that would help, but i didn't
see any benefit. Why an xdoc? Could just link to
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/etc/RELEASE_PROCESS.txt
if you want it more public.

-David