forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Manager - RM
Date Sun, 23 Apr 2006 03:32:48 GMT
Gav.... wrote:

> [...]

This is not how i see it. I often put patches ahead
of everything else because it is an enabler for others.
Of course it is up to each committer what they do.

> > I'm afraid I, personally do not have the time to apply your patches
> > right now (it takes a little time to review them properly and to test
> > afterwards).

I know what you mean Ross, but there is a trap.
Stefano made this apparent to me but it was on a
private list so i will try to paraphrase.

Just apply the patches. Commit-then-review. [1]
If something is wrong then another developer will
be urged to fix it. Flaws are good. They create
itches and help to build a community.

I still cannot quite bring myself to do that,
so i tend to do some minor checks to ensure
that it doesn't break the build for others.
But do i do try to minimise my pre-commit review.

I am saying this to encourage other hesitant and
future committers to just jump in and apply patches.
If it breaks, we will fix it. That is why we have SVN.

Also remember that we have our regular forrestbot
which will report breakages.

> Especially when patches don't validate etc, I have made sure as much as
> Possible that my patches are fully tested, fully validate etc to shorten
> The time a committer needs, but I slip up now and then :)

Thanks, that really does help.

[1] http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#code

-David