forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject Re: Release Manager - RM
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 08:12:35 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Hi all,

Thanks for trying to help in this area. This is
related to something that i have been concerned about.
I have been the RM for the recent releases. We need other
people to also understand and be able to do the process.
It was fanstastic that Ferdinand assisted last time.

> I wonder whether we can establish a regular scheduled release with the
> help of an official release manager.

I don't see how that will help. The release manager
starts when the project is almost ready to do a release,
but it is not their job to fix the major issues that
are hindering our release.

You mention "scheduled releases". I recall that we
had a big discussion about that topic and whether
it was a good approach. Would someone please refer
to that thread.

> Ideal it would be not one single person but a group of people that take
> turns to do a release. That said if you are interested in helping doing
> a release as RM, please beware that other trust you to really do it.
> Why having a RM? One thing that I learned over the years in os
> development is that people feel more responsible for doing a job when
> their have officially the function or feel personal responsible for the
> project.

Well i felt responsible, but it didn't help
our releases to happen any more quickly.

> Seeing our release rate we need to build a habit of releasing on a
> regular basis.
> Who will volunteer for the group of RM?

I will. Like last time, i am very pleased if other
people either help, or actually do it and i will do
the helping role.

I will enhance etc/RELEASE_PROCESS.txt so that people
know what they are in for.

View raw message