forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject Re: Forrest site generates content above build/site
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 23:55:28 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> > Don't use relative paths would be my first thought. Forrest is designed
> > to not need them since relative paths break easily when a file is moved.
> > However, I'm guessing that this is legacy content being imported and so
> > you don't have such control.
> Thanks.
> It is actually new html-content. I guess what you are suggesting is to
> use references like /images/bla/imagexyz and create an entry in my
> project sitemap to automatically rewrite /images/-references to point
> to the correct directory. Which would work but I simply didn't
> understand it when I doing this project :-)

Using references like /images/icon.png is the way to go.
I just tried it with 0.8-dev in 'forrest seed site' and
it correctly finds image sources in either resources/images/
or in xdocs/images/ directories. Sub-directories also works.
There is no need for any special sitemap matches, as Forrest
already handles this automatically.

Also relative references like from samples/linking.xml to
../images/icon.png works.

However as you say, "broken" references like ../../images/icon.png
do work, but the images are generated into a directory above
the build/site directory. No error is reported because Forrest
does correctly find the relevant sources.

I don't know what to do about this latter problem,
other than an FAQ and docs to encourage the use of
references like /images/foo

> And I guess other people will also use this very standard approach to
> addressing so it should'n really make Forrest write in directories
> that are (worst case) even below the project directory.
[ snip]
> And I'm not looking for a solution that I could implement (see above),
> I'm just worried about Forrest creating havoc on some unsuspecting
> users hard disk.
> --
> Ferdinand Soethe

View raw message