forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <ferdin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] odt plugin
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:54:28 GMT

Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> OpenDocument (odt) != openOffice

Hmmm, I may be mistaken but aren't we talking about the OASIS Open
Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) here?

If so, this is equal as far as OpenOffice 2 is concerned:

'Beginning with version 2.0 OpenOffice.org uses the open standard
OASIS OpenDocument XML format as the default file format. The OASIS
OpenDocument format is a vendor and implementation independent file
format, and thus guarantees freedom and independence.'

[http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/2.0/]

And as I said it didn't seem to be very far away from the old
OpenOffice-Format.

So perhaps it makes sense to give it a new and more general name but
not to develop and maintain a second plug-in. Unless the formats are
in fact really different.

--
Ferdinand Soethe