forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <ferdin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] remove active/inactive concept
Date Sat, 22 Apr 2006 07:05:29 GMT

Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>> > Why not simply talk about 2/3 of the votes (those who choose to vote)
>> > within a reasonable time frame?
>>
>> Hey, good idea. I reckon that would remove the
>> ambiguity about who has binding votes.

> Does that mean all votes are binding (committer as well)?

Probably a good idea to simply ingore the fact that there are a few
remaining committer-only committers. Get rid of legacy stuff rather
then keep explaining and confusing people forever.

>> > Wasn't that what the term active was meant
>> > to say in the first place: Active in terms of coming forward to cast a
>> > vote?
>>
>> I like your interpretation.

> I see activeness different then coming forward and voting.

Well this thread is about settling this difference in opinion once and
for all. So (other) people come forward and tell us what you think
rather than listening to us repeating our opinions again and again!

> The problem for the project management (in the classical commercial
> sense) is that
> a) we do not know who can spend how much time for feature xyz. It would
> be nice that each PMC member state in the beginning of the month how
> many time she more or less can spend on the project or certain tasks.

> b) we do not know who is willing to be active in certain parts. Would be
> nice that PMC member could state which areas (or tasks) of forrest they
> are willing to cover.

> c) we do not have a PM (in the commercial sense of the word) who is
> managing tasks and coordinate the effort. Best seen in FF where the
> question "What can I do?" is one of the most frequent ones.

> It would be nice to create different teams (or task forces) and have the
> PM to coordinate the effort that our work can become more efficient.

This really belongs into a new thread on development strategie. Can I
move it there, Thorsten?

--
Ferdinand Soethe