forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Manager - RM
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:32:13 GMT
El vie, 21-04-2006 a las 18:12 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Hi all,
> Thanks for trying to help in this area. This is
> related to something that i have been concerned about.
> I have been the RM for the recent releases. We need other
> people to also understand and be able to do the process.
> It was fanstastic that Ferdinand assisted last time.
> > I wonder whether we can establish a regular scheduled release with the
> > help of an official release manager.
>
> I don't see how that will help. The release manager
> starts when the project is almost ready to do a release,
> but it is not their job to fix the major issues that
> are hindering our release.

> You mention "scheduled releases". I recall that we
> had a big discussion about that topic and whether
> it was a good approach. Would someone please refer
> to that thread.

I cannot remember this discussion. Can it be that was on cocoon and not
here?

> > Ideal it would be not one single person but a group of people that take
> > turns to do a release. That said if you are interested in helping doing
> > a release as RM, please beware that other trust you to really do it.
> >
> > Why having a RM? One thing that I learned over the years in os
> > development is that people feel more responsible for doing a job when
> > their have officially the function or feel personal responsible for the
> > project.
>
> Well i felt responsible, but it didn't help
> our releases to happen any more quickly.

What is the root cause that our releases do not happen as quick as we
wish?

> > Seeing our release rate we need to build a habit of releasing on a
> > regular basis.
> >
> > Who will volunteer for the group of RM?
>
> I will. Like last time, i am very pleased if other
> people either help, or actually do it and i will do
> the helping role.

I will as well.

> I will enhance etc/RELEASE_PROCESS.txt so that people
> know what they are in for.

Is there a special reason why this is a txt file?
Can I create a xdocs from it and add it to the docu?

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"