forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thorsten.scher...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] odt plugin
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:20:50 GMT
El mié, 19-04-2006 a las 12:54 +0200, Ferdinand Soethe escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
> > OpenDocument (odt) != openOffice
>
> Hmmm, I may be mistaken but aren't we talking about the OASIS Open
> Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) here?
>
> If so, this is equal as far as OpenOffice 2 is concerned:
>
> 'Beginning with version 2.0 OpenOffice.org uses the open standard
> OASIS OpenDocument XML format as the default file format. The OASIS
> OpenDocument format is a vendor and implementation independent file
> format, and thus guarantees freedom and independence.'
>
> [http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/2.0/]
>
> And as I said it didn't seem to be very far away from the old
> OpenOffice-Format.
>
> So perhaps it makes sense to give it a new and more general name but
> not to develop and maintain a second plug-in. Unless the formats are
> in fact really different.

If you have this itch feel free to scratch it.

AFAIR there are some fundamental changes in comparison to openOffice
1.x. Further like you pointed out the OASIS Open Document Format is a
higher level standard and *not* directly related to OOo (it just happens
that they use it as default format).

Like I already stated (a standard is way different then an application):
OpenDocument (odt) != openOffice

This said the name "odt" is the most general name IMO. I am -0 for
changing it.

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler