forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DOCO testing problems
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2006 02:39:35 GMT
El jue, 13-04-2006 a las 19:31 +0100, Kevin escribió:
> On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 23:00 +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > El mié, 12-04-2006 a las 18:58 +0100, Kevin escribió:
> > > I've been speed reading the list for a while and tried to get
> > > DOCO installed.
> > >
> > > First time when it was first announced install was fine but now
> > > I have problems.
> >
> > Thanks Kevin, nice to see you here again, like always very helpful. :)
>
> Thanks Thorsten. I thought I'd put my user hat on and have a go at
> doco.

Very cool. That is exactly what we need as feedback. I wish more people
can do this. We need some directions for doco. Further since doco is
using the dispatcher you made some important observations leading to
improvements of our current implementation.

> > > 1) forrest
> > >
> > > .../forrest/whiteboard/doco
> > >
> > > forrest run
> > >
> > > dispatcherError: 500 - Internal server error
> > > The contract "content-title" has thrown thrown an exception by resolving raw
data from "cocoon://index.title.xml".

> > > dispatcherErrorStack:
> > >  org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content is not allowed in prolog.
> > >

> > > forrest site
> > > * [9/10]    [0/5]     3.571s 3.2Kb   index/index_en.html
> > > X [0]                                     index/xdoc/faq.html   BROKEN:
> > > dispatcherError: 500 - Internal server error
> > > The contract "genericXhtml" has thrown thrown an exception by resolving
> > > raw data from "cocoon://index/xdoc/faq.xml".
>
> I still get the 'forrest site' errors like above. Another example below:
>
> * [17/2]    [0/6]     2.969s 3.1Kb   index.html
> X [0]                                     index/xdoc/sample.html
> BROKEN: dispatcherError: 500 - Internal server error
> The contract "genericXhtml" has thrown thrown an exception by resolving
> raw data from "cocoon://index/xdoc/sample.xml".
>
> dispatcherErrorStack:
>  org.apache.excalibur.source.SourceNotFoundException: Exception during
> processing of cocoon://index/xdoc/sample.xml
>
> I'll look at the rendered site again and see really if those pages are
> missing.

Yes this files are missing. They are broken links.

Let me explain.
forrest-trunk/whiteboard/doco/content/authoring/index/xdoc$ cat
index_en.xml|grep href
Meaning that we refer to not existing files (I only svn copied the
forrest sample site of the fresh seed).

That leads to the question why this is not reported to the broken links.
The answer is lying in the nature of the dispatcher. The dispatcher is
not document centric. The common structurer has "only" some contracts
that are actually using content form an (possible) underlying xml file.
If not found this produces the above dispatcher exception.

A lot of structurer can use content from different sources. A structurer
can have x input sources. Non existing content (broken links) need to be
declared a wee bit different in the dispatcher. Further we need to
enhance the SourceNotFoundException handling and instead of throwing an
exception, declaring a broken link for the contract and the request.
That would allow to render the requested page with 404 content in the
contracts that are failing.

We should start a seperate thread for this since we need to discuss the
possible implementations.

Nice observation Kevin, thanks.

> > > In a work area I tried forrest seed and enabled dispatcher and it
> > > seems to be dispatcher related.
>
> I'll look at this again. Dispatcher is fine with default theme maybe
> I saw an error with pelt.
>
> > The problem was that the index.xml is based on xhtml as input format.
> > With http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=390856&view=rev I enabled a
> > resourceTypeAction (FOR-843) but not activated it on the index file.
> >
> > I fixed it by adding a meta data file.
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=393607&view=rev
> >

> > > Unless I've done something wrong being away for a while and forget
> > > something. Yep I enabled dispatcher patch and local deploy plugins.
> >
> > No that was a bug, thanks very much for the headsup.
>
> Yes great that meta file fixed it for 'forrest run'. Thanks.
>
> > > 2) lenya
> >
> > ...I will answer this part replying in a second answer cc to lenya-dev
> > (since the observations are really lenya specific).
>
> Yes I saw that answer thanks. Yes with BXE clicking in a paragraph
> (no cursor?) typing, edit and save works ok. Though with all content
> wrapped it is difficult to use.

totally agree.

> > > Kevin
> >
> > Really great hearing from you.
>
> Maybe after these next silly questions you may not think so :)
> Forgetting Dispatcher for the moment.
>
> I see Lenya authoring / CM of xdoc and xhtml.
>
> .../forrest/whiteboard/doco/content/authoring/index/xdoc
> is were the xdocs reside ie forrest content in internal format.

Not plural. Lenya works on resource types and documents. That is just
*one* document.

> So why can't forrest just publish from there with old skins?

In theory that is possible but you would need some hacking on skins.

> Ok can't realy edit xdoc with Lenya BXE but ok editing xhtml.
> .../forrest/whiteboard/doco/content/authoring/index/anxhtmldoc
>
> So that's why the xhtml->xdoc forrest input plugin on the todo list?

I actually removed it since I believe we should start using xhtml2 and
testing what we have so far.

> But xhtml is published with forrest in the example. Is that
> achieved using Lenya input plugin to forrest?

No, that is the dispatcher. As soon as the resource type is xhtml the
xhtml structurer will be used (bypassing the core).

> Hmmm I feel I'm digging a hole for myself. No tabs.xml and site.xml
> so is navigation generated from Lenya?

Well till now site.xml is generated out of the sitetree.xml of the
authoring area from lenya. This is done in the lenya forrest
plugin. ...but tab.xml is there.

--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"