forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Locationmap Caching Help (FOR-732/711)
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:31:19 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:

>>>I think I'm not explaining it well enough.  "n" (e.g. 315) is not the
>>>number of nodes (SelectNode, MountNode, etc.); "n" is the number of
>>>references to "lm:some-resource" involved in a given request.  In
>>>other words, traversing all of the nodes is actually really fast,
>>>traversing all of the nodes for each of the 315 references to an
>>>lm:some-resource is, in total, slow.
>>
>>Ahhh... OK, that makes more sense now - sorry for being so thick.
>>
>>I'm still having real difficulty understanding why a single page results
>>in 315 "lm:some-resource" requests. Do we have any idea waht these are?
>>I ask because it appears that in your testing you have set up some
>>decent profiling.
>

> Well, I haven't been looking at *what* they are really.  No decent
> profiling - just basic logging.  We're a victim of our own success I
> reckon - we've moved tons of stuff to use the locationmap protocol and
> now we're seeing the fruits of it.
>
> My linux command skills leave something to be desired but...
> cd $FORREST_HOME/main
> grep lm: * | more
>
> and
>
> cd $FORREST_HOME/main
> grep lm: * | awk 'END {print NR}'
>
> This returns 223 - which, i think, is the number of references to the
> locationmap protocol in our core xmaps.  I reckon some are referenced
> multiple times?

I just can't believe that we *need& 315 lm:requests for a single page. I
would expect something like:

- around 10 stylesheets (depends on input format)
- around of 25 images (depends on skin/theme)
- 2 or 3 CSS files
- possibly a javascript file or two

Most of these should be cached by the Cocoon sitemap so only requested
once, but, Cocoon needs to resolve the lm: protocol in order to check
validity.

Then there will be the requests for the content which should be 1 source
file and x image files.

So that (back of the envelope) estimate would see something like 40-50
lm: requests for most pages.

How this gets to 315 is a worry, and needs some investigation.

Are your figures using skins or the dispatcher? If it's easy to do
perhaps you can give a comparison of the numbers with the alternative
(I'd be very suprised if the Dispatcer is lower, but I'd like to see the
amount of difference).

>>This figure really confirms something I've been thinking for some time.
>>
>>Forrest has got horribly monolithic and we need a spring clean (it's
>>spring in my part of the world anyway). Unfortunately, this is a *huge*
>>job, I'm not proposing we do this now. But we ought to think about it
>>for a 1.0 release.
>

> No argument here.. just trying to work with what we got at the moment.

Yeah, fair enough. Thanks for not letting me get sidetracked ;-)

Ross