forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Community health
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:54:19 GMT
Gav.... wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Crossley" <crossley@apache.org>

+1000

> Of the 12 Active Committers, probably about 7 of those are what I call
> at the moment Currently Active Commiters, of those 7 I dont remember how
> many are committing other contributors patches.
> Is this enough do you think, considering the current speed of
> development of 0.8 and the need to support and patch 0.7 ?

This is not enough. All committers need to put time into maintaining the
project as a whole. It is not just about committing code patches, but
updating docs, publishing the website, user support etc.

However, the reality is this is a volunteer effort and we all do what we
can. The problem with saying "out loud" that *we*, the community, need
to do more, is that individuals who do not currently have the time may
feel that the words are targetted at them

> Maybe, to reduce pressure of the busiest committers and to let them get
> on with their own coding, maybe there should be an initial level of
> Committer that is not a PMC member until such time as they would
> normally be voted in as is current a Committer/PMC Member. This level of
> Committer only will allow for more contributors to help by applying
> other peoples patches and reduce the workload for others currently doing
> the job.

This has been discussed many times (see archives). The summary is that
it is not seen as a good idea. The only reason for the PMC is to have a
private place to discuss issues that cannot be discussed in public, for
example, security issues. PMC membership does not, generally, requrie
any more commitment than being a committer. Therefore, having a second
level of committership will not really change the situation. Either
someone has the time/inclination to apply patches or they do not - not
being in the PMC will not change that.

> Ah well, something to think about anyway. And yes, I have seen previous
> discussions about this in the past and remember them well. Just a timely
> reminder :)

If there is any reason to change past decisions we need to hear them.
Otherwise we are ust wasting time going over old gound. In other words,
is there anything in the past discussions that you feel is no longer
appropriate to this decision?

> Second point (hmm, so all the above is just one point!) , how about
> their being hyperlinks to Contributors/Committers sites within the
> changes document. Seeing a load of [TS] [RDG] [DC] etc all over the
> place is hardly informing to the outsider.

I am of the opinon that who applies what change is irrelevant. However,
I have no objection to such links if others want them.

Ross