forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest history (was Re: svn commit: r384121)
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 09:03:43 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
>> I would like to use the svn log as changes.html.
>>

> IMHO, svn log contains far more info that needed in a change.html. Take
> for example the "fix typo" or "indenting" svn commit logs. Make sense to
> include them into a changes.html? I guess not.

I agree that the commit log is way too deailed.

We already have a mechanism for recording contributions. This mechanism
is in a much more structured fromat than commit messages and so can be
processed moew efficiently afterwards, such as generating a list of
contributors to each release. Distinguishing between new code, new docs,
bug fixes etc.

This mechanism is status.xml (note Davids recent observations about bugs
in this system, minor XSL problems, but problems never the less.

It would be possible to write a post commit script for SVN that would
automatically add relevant commit messages to the changes.xml file. In
this case the commit message would have to contain certain tokens, for
example:

"Added ability to automatically update status.xml from SVN commit logs.
@importance=high
@dev=XYZ
@due-to=ABC
@fixes=FOR-123"

Alternatively an input plugin could be created to build staus.xml from
the SVN ommit logs.

Will I do the work? No. I'm happy with maintaining status.xml properly
(noting Davids observations about committers not doing this properly).

Ross