forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest history (was Re: svn commit: r384121)
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2006 21:11:54 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El jue, 09-03-2006 a las 21:18 +1100, David Crossley escribió:
>
>>Thanks Tim, your comments are spot on.

Agreed.

>>Thorsten, don't take any of this personally.
>>We are still a new project and need to set our
>>direction. As before i am using real-life
>>situations to mould that.
>

> Well, lucky for me I am not soft-skinned and had enough opportunities to
> grow it thick.

;-) that's good.

> I think we should not change the link texts from live sites.

Perhaps it should have been discussed before being changed. But for the
record I would have been +1 for changing, my reasoning having been
expressed elsewhere in this thread.

I understand your point that live sites is for users but you are not a
user and the comment was referring to you as a developer of Forrest.
What you say on your own private sites, as Tim observed, is a whole
different matter.

>>I see this current situation as an important
>>aspect of community-building.
>

> Well, or the opposite. See the mail from Maurice.

Without  an understanding of the importance of community one would never
be voted in as a committer. There are many people who do not agree with
the importance of community and they usually join none ASF-like projects.

NOTE: the above comment is *my* opinion, not necessarily that of the
Forrest project, people with conflicting opinions should not feel that
the above *personal* opinion in any way diminishes the importance of
your own views. Please speak up and disagree if you feel it is necessary.

>>It is not about the "history". Anyone who
>>is interested can find that in the archives
>>or we can try to build a concise timeline.
>

> With information from the archive and svn/cvs this is *really* time
> consuming. Further how should new people know what to look for? The
> argument "it is all in the archive and in the commit log" is like
> telling somebody looking for a needle in a haystack.

Its not so difficult in http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/changes.html
which is the official published history of the project, the rest are all
artifacts.

Ross