forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: search engine broker
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:18:52 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El lun, 06-03-2006 a las 10:13 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
>
>>Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I am working on a new plugin, a search engine broker (output). You can
>>>see it in action on http://www.target-x.de/search.html and
>>>http://www.target-x.de/search-forms.html.
>>>
>>>BTW that is my site with a new theme I developed while testing the
>>>dispatcher. :)
>>
>>Nice search plugin!
>

> :)
>
> How do you like the history list?

I love it. Some feature requests:

- persist the history between invocations

- provide the search results for the last search in the browser page (I
block popups, maybe an iframe would be the simplest answer)

- allow the setting of "preferred engines" and search them
simultaneously, i.e. Forrest site, Forrest Dev Arhives, Forrest User
Archives

I'm not about to implement any of these, but I would *love* to see them ;-)

(I can magine using this plugin so no doubt will contribute one day,
just not right now).

>>With respect to reusing the search definition code.
>>
>>- What license is the definition schema released as?
>

> Not found any information on it but it seems an internal mozilla format
> and mozilla is ASF style license, right?

I always thought so, but I have an inkling that it was listed as a
non-compatible license in the recent legal FAQ. I've not verified this
(possibly incorret) rcollection.

>>We need to consider
>>reuse of the schema as well as the individual definitions.
>

> I would like to go one step further and try to start a discussion on
> mozilla to use a xml valid format instead of the halfbaked xml like
> format that they have right now.
>
> To re-use the existing mozilla *out-of-the-box" would be more then
> awesome. :)

If you ave the time for another list ;-)

Ross