forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] structurer location and resource types
Date Sat, 25 Mar 2006 00:55:05 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >David Crossley escribi??:
> >
> >>Please don't take my comments below the wrong way.
> >>I seek the best for the project.
> >>
> >>I know that this is a Random Thought thread but
> >>there seem to be some design and direction things
> >>which should break out into separate discussions.
> >>
> >>Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> [snip]
> >>
> >>I don't think that this project is big enough
> >>to support sub-projects. We are barely a functioning
> >>community at the moment. The number of truly active
> >>developers is very small.

See below as to why i made this comment.

> >Yes and I wish that our who.html would reflect the reality of active
> >committer and not listing people as active that have not done a single
> >commit/mail since years.
>
> You are a committer, you know what to do. Of course, I should also lend
> a hand, as should everyone else, but we all do what we can and nobody
> else is airing this complaint. The buck stops with you I'm afraid.

Anyone on the PMC can review the activity (remember
that email discussion counts) and suggest to those
committers that we vary who.html

archives and the changes.html (which i try to
keep published often). Perhaps we should link to
those from the bottom of who.html page.

> >Anyway, the reality in this project is that the dispatcher has become a
> >subproject of forrest. Further the dispatcher does not focus to support
> >forrest only, I reviewed the dispatcher code and testing ATM to use it
> >in the cocoon samples and it works quite nicely.
>
> I do not want to comment on this without understanding exactly what you
> mean by "a subproject", can you write a proposal covering design,
> benefits to the Forrest project and community and benefits to the ASF?
>
> Don't assume these things are obvious. They are not to most of us, at
> least to me.

I will wait too. However there is one thing that
i should say now. The reason for my comment above.

Running a sub-project will take effort and potentially
dilute the existing community. It will have separate
mailing lists, repositories, etc. It will also have
separate concerns and release cycles.

At the moment there seems to be mainly me attending
to the project management level and to the documentation
maintenance and publishing process. I am too small to split.

I don't know how to handle this. Not saying that
it is a bad idea.

> As  project we do not have any guidelines for proposing subprojects.
> Perhaps we can use the incubator model for proposals. This way, if
> Forrest does not feel it is the right thing to do you will be well on
> your way to creating a proposal for the incubator, you can use this
> initial draft to find a mentor and a champion.
>
> NOTE
>
> I am not suggesting that I support the idea of a subproject or incubator
> project. I'm saying I do not understand why you think this is a benefit
> to everyone, without that understanding I can have no opinion.

-David