forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Community health
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:05:43 GMT
Gav.... wrote:

> Maybe the PMC should think about this NOT being 'extraordinary' but as a
> 'trial period' of Committership before full PMC Membership. Give
> contributors the chance to gain this level of entry based on the rule that
> their priority is sorting through JIRA and applying relevent patches.

Nope, we don't have any such rules. Committers will only
be as active as they wish to be. Also we must ensure
that all committers are treated as equals.

> This, of course, boils down to the trust factor, who would you trust that
> is not already a Committer, to become one and have access to the repository
> with ballsing up all the code and other committers/contributors work. By
> the time someone gets to this level of trust, I guess is when you would
> vote for them to become PMC/Committer in the first place.

They main thing is to ensure that people are committed
to the project and can collaborate.

Sure we generally do wait to see their patches and
make sure that they can drive SVN. However we actually
trust new committers to know their own capabilities
and not do anything radical if they are not comfortable
with SVN. Start small with documentation tweaks and such.

That is one reason that we have oversight of the svn@
mailing list and have all our sources in Subversion.
It is possible for other committers to roll back changes
if an accident happens.

By the way, applying patches is not always an easy task.

-David