forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Community health
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:38:39 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> David Crossley escribi??:
> >
> > The sooner that we get these guidelines finished
> > the better. I am going to add some more to
> > http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html
> > http://forrest.apache.org/committed.html
> > to try to explain the "Apache Way" as it applies
> > to our project and how we recognise contributions.
> > Hopefully others can help to build upon that
> > to reflect our intent.
>
> The only problem I see is that it will be the "Apache Forrest Way"
> as long it does not go back to the Apache main page. Further it will let other
> Apache projects define the "Apache XYZ Way", I see more danger then benefits in this.

It sounds like you don't quite understand how ASF
projects work. When each Top-Level Project is created,
its resolution causes it to create its project guidelines.
Being in line with the overall principles of the ASF,
each project defines its own rules and procedures.
That is a part of the "Apache Way".

See the wording at Forrest's resolution:
http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#pmc
follow the link to "resolution". Then search
for Section E.
<quote>
...and be it further

  RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Forrest PMC be and hereby is
  tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
  encourage open development and increased participation in the
  Forrest Project; and be it further

</quote>

-David