forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest history (was Re: svn commit: r384121)
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:10:09 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> David Crossley escribi??:
> > >
> > > I like history and the humanity would be nothing if not people would
> > > have kept track when and how something happen.
> > >
> > > Do not get me wrong but I would like to start a history page about
> > > forrest (here) and keeping track of who did what, because it helps to
> > > understand us currently as project and where we are heading.
> >
> > I definitely do not want us to start keeping track
> > of who did what. That is very dangerous in open source
> > projects. It works against community-building.
>
> Well that is your personal opinion.

Every statement is our personal opinion and we
don't need to keep saying so.

> I never have seen university nor commercial studies providing evidence
> for such a relation. Do you have any proof or concrete examples for this
> claim?

The ASF and its ways is starting to be discussed
in such fora, but really we are breaking new ground
in community building.

It is obvious to me that if we start making a special
list of who did what, then we will get into hot water.
Listing certain people and not *every* person who
made a contribution will cause various troubles.
Here are some ...

* Inferiority complex.

* Mistaken impression about "leadership". There are
no leaders in Apache communities. We are essentially
all equal developers. The committed ones will eventually
become committers.

* Maintenance nightmare. Who is going to wade through
our history and list all the deserving contributions.
Who will keep it up-to-date.

* Impossible to determine who is a "deserving contributor".

-David