forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject procedure when patching plugins
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 23:05:56 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:

> >>Done
> >
> > Thanks. Cheche has added it to the Forrest trunk SVN.
> >
> > We need to also deploy the plugin so that the forrestbot
> > at forrest.zones.apache.org can use it.
>
> No we don't. A while bak I made it so that dev plugins will be copied
> from the src tree if possible. See the commit messages at
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-388?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.subversion:subversion-commits-tabpanel

Gak, i wondered about that. Sorry to spread
that mis-information.

Actually i was confused by local behaviour. I am
only doing 'build clean' when necessary. Forrestbot
on the zone is cleaning every hour, so  it gets the
new plugin by itself. Nice.

We do need to enhance our Howto build plugin docs,
or we each need to re-read them or something. [1]

> > $FORREST_HOME/tools/ant/bin/ant deploy
> >
> > Uh'oh. That does a test build with the Daisy plugin
> > which fails with ...
> > * [1/16]    [16/16]   5.68s  5.5Kb   linkmap.html
> > X [0] cocoon/index.html BROKEN: Unable to get attribute value for
> daisy.navigation.docID
> >
> > Sorry i don't know what that means. Bruno's patch
> > is related to Daisy IDs.
>
> This is nothing to do with the patch Bruno suplied. It is because the
> property daisy.navigation.docID has not been defined in
> forrest.properties.xml
>
> I'll raise an issue.

So perhaps this was already failing before the patch.

We need to follow a procedure when patching plugins:
Do '$FORREST_HOME/tools/ant/bin/ant test' beforehand.
Apply the patch.
Do '$FORREST_HOME/tools/ant/bin/ant test' again.

Is "local-deploy" necessary now? Yes, see Ross'
comments at the FOR-388 commit messages.

At what stage do committers do "deploy" and why?

[1] http://forrest.apache.org/docs/dev/howto/howto-buildPlugin.html

-David