forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [announcement] DOCO prototype in forrest and lenya rep
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:53:23 GMT
El mar, 21-03-2006 a las 18:29 +1100, David Crossley escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >
> > I am happy to announce that I added a first prototype of a DOCO
> > implementation in the Apache Forrest and Apache Lenya rep.
> >
> > Where the content is stored in
> > /forrest/trunk/whiteboard/doco
> > and the publication in
> > lenya/sandbox/doco
> >
> > We are using lenya to manage/edit the content and forrest to
> > render/export it as static webpage.
> >
> > ...and it actually works fine :)
> >
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/lenya/sandbox/doco/README.txt
>
> Thanks for all your effort Thorsten.

somebody has to start. ;)

> I followed those instructions. My first time installing Lenya.
> Everything went staightforward.
> http://localhost:9999/doco/authoring/ ... all okay.
> Looking forward to learning/using Lenya.

:)

welcome to lenya/doco. It is pretty straight forward once we fixed a bug
related to the search index (see [Fwd: Re: message: index xxxxxx doesn't
exist] on lenya dev) that throws now a couple of errors.

You can create new documents and edit them. All very basic but working
(ignoring above bug). ;)

> The Forrest part runs and i see the basic index.html
> http://localhost:8888/
>
> Not sure what to do next.

Well, we need to fix some issues to really use it:
- remove exit usecase to search indexing on all core lenya usecases (in
discussion on lenya dev - see above).
- make dispatcher aware of lenya resource types (I once added a resource
type action to the dispatcher lm but actually we need a different one
for lenya, since it keeps this information in a meta file). That means
we need to extend the dispatcher with meta data lookups. That makes it
possible to integrate different resource types (not only the xdocs based
ones). Forrest will then be able to easiely bypass its internal format
by looking up which structurer to use for the certain resource type.
- fix BXE editing in doco to have WYSIWYG editing for xdocs.
- add more forrest specific resource types like howto, ... to doco
- develop strategy to import forrest site-author/ into doco and make it
editable.
- develop strategy of live instance of doco (including commits of edit
content, ...)
...and a lot more... ;)

Everyone (lenya, forrest and cocoon committer have write access on all
doco related resources) please feel free to help.

>                    -- oOo --
>
> Towards the end of README.txt (line 62) ...
> cd {doco}
> forrest run
> ... but that fails because no forrest config is there.
> I presume that should be $FORREST_HOME/whiteboard/doco

Thanks for pointing this out. I will fix this ASAP (if nobody beats me
to it).

BTW the doco content in $FORREST_HOME/whiteboard/doco supports ATM only
the lenya resource type xhtml, we need to add the above mentioned
changes to the dispatcher to support multiple resource type out of the
box.

> -David

Thanks very much, David, for testing.

:)