forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest history (was Re: svn commit: r384121)
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:38:17 GMT
El jue, 16-03-2006 a las 19:13 +1100, David Crossley escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > David Crossley escribi??:
> > > Thanks Tim, your comments are spot on.
> > >
> > > Tim Williams wrote:
> > > [ snip ]
> > >
> > > It wasn't hasty. I thought long and hard about that.
> > > I don't see it as censoring.
> >
> > Well I actually do see it as censoring and like Tims idea
> >
> > Tim Williams escribi??:
> > > Since we as the PMC actually endorse all other content on the site,
> > > maybe this live-sites page needs a disclaimer at the top saying that
> > > the Forrest PMC, commiters, and developers provide these links for
> > > examples and information only - we do not endorse any particular
> > > product, service, or information linked from this page?
> >
> > > It is just the same as
> > > any change that we make to code or docs. If we see
> > > something that we reckon is not correct or could be
> > > improved, then we change it. If other people think
> > > that it needs discussion or needs to be reverted,
> > > then say so as we are doing now.
> >
> > The live site links are provided from user of forrest.
>
> As i said, there have been various occasions already that
> required a change to their "contribution". For example
> some waffled on for far longer than the other listed sites.

...and?

Doing something wrong in the past is not a justification for doing it
wrong in the future!

Like said removing dead or unreleated links are one thing, changing
taglines another!

> > If e.g. nokia uses forrest for they site, it would probably be
> >
> > If you change this because you think "is not correct" then nokia will
> > ask that the link will be changed back or removed. I do not agree that
> > we should change site tags from our user. To use your own words: Where
> > would we stop (or not)?
>
> Committers have every right to do whatever they see fit.

Wow, welcome to the wild wild west, I propose as next to have official
commit shoot outs. ;)

> Ideally we would only change things on this page
> where they might have adverse affects on the health
> of our community. Such was my intent.

I am a committer, you know me, WHY did you not asked me? Not having
asked me why do you think I do not take the whole story at least a wee
bit personally when you change my personal site description? Why did you
not brought this up in the ml (and do not answer with your western
philosophy, please)?

Good intention are sometimes destroyed by the form, you know that right?

> > > In the past i have made other changes to this
> > > live-sites doc and to other docs that linked
> > > to sites that were not relevant. (Not saying
> > > that this case is not relevant.)
> >
> > Removing dead links is one thing, changing site descriptions a *totally*
> > different one.
> >
> > > Thorsten, don't take any of this personally.
> > > We are still a new project and need to set our
> > > direction. As before i am using real-life
> > > situations to mould that.
> >
> > Well, lucky for me I am not soft-skinned and had enough opportunities to
> > grow it thick.
> >
> > I think we should not change the link texts from live sites.
> >
> > > I see this current situation as an important
> > > aspect of community-building.
> >
> > Well, or the opposite. See the mail from Maurice.
>
> That email has some incorrect statements that i
> will try to address separately.
>
> > > It is not about the "history". Anyone who
> > > is interested can find that in the archives
> > > or we can try to build a concise timeline.
> >
> > With information from the archive and svn/cvs this is *really* time
> > consuming. Further how should new people know what to look for? The
> > argument "it is all in the archive and in the commit log" is like
> > telling somebody looking for a needle in a haystack.
>
> Perhaps we can try to build a concise timeline
> of events to give them some clues for search.

+1

> The changes.html should also provide some clues.
> Committers need to take more care with that
> to ensure that most code/doc contributions are
> acknowledged (including our own).

I would like to use the svn log as changes.html.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"