forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: search engine broker
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 20:56:55 GMT
El mar, 07-03-2006 a las 09:18 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> >>Nice search plugin!
> >

> > :)
> >
> > How do you like the history list?
>
> I love it. Some feature requests:
>
> - persist the history between invocations

will implement it now

> - provide the search results for the last search in the browser page (I
> block popups, maybe an iframe would be the simplest answer)

The problem is that most provider (like google) does not allow this.

> - allow the setting of "preferred engines" and search them
> simultaneously, i.e. Forrest site, Forrest Dev Arhives, Forrest User
> Archives

jeje, yeah that is the next step. I am planing to write a simple form to
upload new definitions and limit the engines to a subset on structurer
base. The metasearch would be really nice. ;)

> I'm not about to implement any of these, but I would *love* to see them ;-)

;)

> (I can magine using this plugin so no doubt will contribute one day,
> just not right now).

I need to finish the current plugin and add it to the svn that you and
Cyriaque can play with it.

> >>With respect to reusing the search definition code.
> >>
> >>- What license is the definition schema released as?
> >

> > Not found any information on it but it seems an internal mozilla format
> > and mozilla is ASF style license, right?
>
> I always thought so, but I have an inkling that it was listed as a
> non-compatible license in the recent legal FAQ. I've not verified this
> (possibly incorret) rcollection.

Anyway, like Cyriaque, yourself and I have said it is dead simple and
the xml schema is actually developed by myself. We should be save to add
it to our rep.

> >>We need to consider
> >>reuse of the schema as well as the individual definitions.
> >

> > I would like to go one step further and try to start a discussion on
> > mozilla to use a xml valid format instead of the halfbaked xml like
> > format that they have right now.
> >
> > To re-use the existing mozilla *out-of-the-box" would be more then
> > awesome. :)
>
> If you ave the time for another list ;-)

lol

yeah that is the bummer. I reckon I am faster to write a mozilla
searchplugin (cleaner) generator. ;)

Thx for the feedback. :)

salu2
--