forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: search engine broker
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2006 21:06:02 GMT
El lun, 06-03-2006 a las 10:13 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am working on a new plugin, a search engine broker (output). You can
> > see it in action on http://www.target-x.de/search.html and
> > http://www.target-x.de/search-forms.html.
> >
> > BTW that is my site with a new theme I developed while testing the
> > dispatcher. :)
>
> Nice search plugin!

:)

How do you like the history list?

I am using the list nearly always (in combination with tab browsing what
I need). ;)

> With respect to reusing the search definition code.
>
> - What license is the definition schema released as?

Not found any information on it but it seems an internal mozilla format
and mozilla is ASF style license, right?

> We need to consider
> reuse of the schema as well as the individual definitions.

I would like to go one step further and try to start a discussion on
mozilla to use a xml valid format instead of the halfbaked xml like
format that they have right now.

To re-use the existing mozilla *out-of-the-box" would be more then
awesome. :)

The current solution is alright but I would like to use them directly
without editing. ;)

> - Is it worth sending a mail to the original authors asking them to
> contribute a patch via JIRA? (you could provide them the code and just
> ask them to contribute it to cover the legal aspects of contribution)
>
> - Is it so much trouble t re-write them? As has been observed, they are
> only really a breakdown of the search strings.

Well like said, I re-wrote them all (more or less). At least I needed
valid xml.

To not use the existing mozilla searchplugins - Mycroft project provides
a collection of search plugins (6503 at the last count)
http://mycroft.mozdev.org/ seems kind of silly. ;-)

salu2
--
thorsten