forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: search engine broker
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2006 09:31:32 GMT
El lun, 06-03-2006 a las 08:49 +0100, Thorsten Scherler escribió:
> > > Here an extract from the contract description
> > > "search-engines-main will output a select box or a page of installed
> > > search engines. This search definitions are based on firefox search
> > > plugins.
> > >
> > > If you use firefox on your local system then you can find the installed
> > > plugins in ~/.mozilla/firefox/{profile}/searchplugins.
> > >
> > > Warning: firefox searchplugins are not well formed xml You *cannot* use
> > > ~/.mozilla/firefox/{profile}/searchplugins/*.src directly since they are
> > > not valid xml-markup!!!"
> > >
> > > Now I wonder whether I can redistribute this refactored search plugins?
> >
> > Is this "search plugin" format an open definition?
>
> What do you mean by open definition?
>
> > We could just add the attributes to the Forrest plugin
> > configuration files and not need to copy the Firefox
> > content.
>
> Well the definition are *based* on the firefox plugins. I extended them
> by a ctegory attribute and before you could use them you have to convert
> them.

Actually I started to extend them which can be seen on the google form
on http://www.target-x.de/search-forms.html. Further all the MARC
mailing list search engines I have created from scratch.

The definitions from the searchBroker plugins still work in firefox. :)
Would be nice to talk to the mozilla people and find a xml compatible
search definition format that we can share. :)

Actually I would hope there is something like an open definition for
search engines that would be great. ;) I will do some research.

> I ask because of the comment. Should I keep it?

Actually like said above I am the original author of the marc search
definition and I can first check in the plugin with those definitions
and we can discuss how to do it with the rest.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<search version="7.1"
   name="forrest-dev@marc"
   description="marc.theaimsgroup - DejaNews for mailing lists"
   method="GET"
   action="http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/"
   searchform="http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/"
   category="mailing list archive"

<input name="l" value="forrest-dev"/>
<input name="w" value="2"/>
<input name="r" value="1"/>
<input name="q" value="b"/>
<input name="s" type="text"/>

</search>

The basic idea is a disassembly of the search string
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&w=2&r=1&q=b&s=mySearchString

salu2
--
thorsten